Nine churches in Cubao for Visita Iglesia

April 17, 2019

GUIDE TO VISITA IGLESIA 2019: Nine churches to visit in Cubao Visita Iglesia or visiting at least seven churches on Maundy Thursday or Good Friday is one of the most popular traditions of Catholics during lent. However, it is quite challenging for devotees to transfer from one church to another due to heavy traffic along the way. Known as a premier city, Quezon City also houses churches and shrines that attest the city’s astounding faith. Here are the nine churches that can be visited in the city’s business capital, Cubao.
Photos by: Teddy Brul, Jr./ QC Public Affairs



The Immaculate Conception Cathedral of Cubao 


40 Lantana St., Barangay Immaculate Conception, Cubao, Quezon City 
This Cathedral started out as a small chapel in 1935 ministered by priests from the Christ the King Missionary seminary. On December &, 1949, the chapel that was once dedicated to San Isidro Labrador was now renamed after the Immaculate Conception. After a year, the church was canonically established as a parish. 


And on August 28, 2003, the Immaculate Conception Cathedral of Cubao was declared making it the Seat of the Diocese of Cubao with His Excellency, the Most Rev. Honesto F. Ongtioco as the new bishop.


Source: Facets of Faith: Discovering the Church Heritage of Quezon City


The Nativity of the Lord Parish


51 Ermin Garcia St., Barangay E. Rodriguez, Cubao, Quezon City


The Nativity of the Lord Parish was originally a part of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish in Cubao. The parish is bounded on the north by the Lagarian Creek, by Aurora Boulevard on the south, 15th Avenue on the east, and EDSA on the west. The church was completed on February 20, 1999.


Source: Diocese of Cubao


Shrine of Jesus the Divine Word 

1142 E Rodriguez Sr. Ave, Barangay Kristong Hari Quezon City 

The church was designed by Fr. Friedrich Linzenbach, SVD, which was inspired by the monumental church designs of German architect Dominikus Zimmerman. Fr. Linzenbach worked with Bro. Josef Hueger as Construction Engineer. The structure resembled a dove in flight with the apse as the head. Undulating outlines consistently flow from the outer silhouette to the interior balconies. The façade depicts a beardless Christ whose movement veers away from the traditional style.

Similar images of the major patron saints of the Divine Word missionaries namely St. Paul, St. Joseph, St. Peter, Archangels Gabriel and Michael, and the Blessed Virgin Mary were all designed by Fr. Linzenbach. The altar table is a massive 46 cubic feet polished basalt from the Italian Dolomites. Its sheer size and character is said to be one of its kind in the country. The sanctuary crucifix was done from the school of renowned German sculptor Ewald Matare. 

Source: Facets of Faith: Discovering the Church Heritage of Quezon City

Our Lady of Fatima Parish
37 Cordillera St., Quezon City 

The Our Lady of Fatima Parish used to be a chapel community of the Most Holy Redeemer Parish in Brixton Hills, under the care of the Sacred Heart Missinaries. The Chapel was built mainly because of the stories about the shower of petals in a house located at the corner of Luksot and Cordillera streets, which was adjacent to the house of the MSC fathers.

Source: Diocese of Cubao

Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish 
2 Mahinhin St., UP Village, Diliman,Quezon City 

The IHMP church was designed by Architect Leandro Locsin, the National Artist and designer of the Cultural Center of the Philippines in 1975. Architect Locsin conceptualized and designed the IHMP Church building before he worked on the design of the Cultural Center of the Philippines. The IHMP church is reputedly the last religious building Locsin designed. 

Source: Claret Philippines

St. Joseph Adoration Chapel

71 M. Hemady Avenue corner 11th St Barangay Mariana, New Manila, Quezon City

St. Arnold Janssen, a priest with a big heart for the missions, founded 3 Missionary Congregations, namely: the Society of the Divine Word (SVD), the Mission Congregation of the Servants of the Holy Spirit (SSpS), and the Sister-Servants of the Holy Spirit of Perpetual Adoration (SSpSAp) also known as the “Pink Sisters” because of their rose- colored habit. Upon the invitation of His Eminence, the late Rufino Cardinal Santos, a second convent in the Philippines, St. Joseph’s Convent of Perpetual Adoration was established in 1965 in Quezon City and was designed by Jose Maria V Zaragoza.

From then on, the lamps in the Adoration Chapel continue to burn, nourishing souls and nurturing the faith for all who come seeking spiritual growth and peace. The process of sainthood of their co-foundress, Mother Mary Michael is now in its initial stage. 

Source: Facets of Faith: Discovering the Church Heritage of Quezon City

Parish of the Lord of Divine Mercy 
Maamo comer Madasalin St., Barangay Sikatuna Village, Quezon City 

Helen Kowalska entered the Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy on August 1, 1925 where she took on the name Sr. Maria Faustina of the Most Blessed Sacrament. She was a simple nun serving her community as a cook, gardener and porter. On February 22, 1931, Jesus the Divine Mercy appeared before her and invited the humble sister to be the “secretary” of His mercy through a series of apparitions from 1931 to 1936. 

Sr. Faustina documented these mystical encounters in her diary entitled “Divine Mercy in my Soul” which has been translated into several languages. She passed away on October 5, 1938 and was canonized by Saint John Paul II on April 30, 2000. The Lord of Divine Mercy Parish treasures a piece of St. Faustina’s bone (ex ossibus) as a reminder of Christ’s infinite love revealed to a humble servant. 

Source: Facets of Faith: Discovering the Church Heritage of Quezon City

San Isidro Labrador Parish 
Malakas St., Brgy. Pinyahan, Quezon City

Holy Family Parish Church
K-I cor. K-7th St., Kamias, Quezon City

Leave a Reply:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *